- Mark Berman of Fox 26 Houston-TV tweeted before the game that Yordan Alvarez was being held out of the lineup once again with hand discomfort and that Yanier Diaz will make his Major League debut tonight. Diaz was acquired from the Cleveland Guardians in the Myles Straw trade and is considered one of the Astros top prospects.
- The Astros top prospect Hunter Brown was called up Friday. While with the Sugarland Space Cowboys, Brown had a 2.55 ERA, 134 strikeouts, and held opponents to a .186 batting average in 24 starts.
- The Astros score first in 63% of their road games, which is second highest in the Majors to Boston. They scored first in the third inning off of a Jeremy Peña double, scoring Chas McCormick.
- Yuli Gurriel hit his 35th double of the year in the top of the fourth inning, which makes him tied for third place in doubles in the American League.
- Lance McCullers Jr. went 5 2/3 innings with 97 pitches and 60 strikes. He only walked four Angels batters and struck out 7 per Astros beat writer Brian McTaggart.
The Astros won the game 4-2 and will play the Angels again Saturday at 8:07 CT with Luis Garcia (11-8, 4.14 ERA) on the mound for the Astros and Shohei Ohtani (11-8, 2.67 ERA) on the mound for the Angels.